This guide contains all the information you'll need to get started using e-books for your coursework and research.
Types of Access Models
In General there are three (3) different models of access for E-books.
1) Unlimited access: means there are no limits on the simultaneous or yearly uses on this title.
2) XXX concurrent uses: this title can be used up to X number of times per year. It can be downloaded for 7 Days if this is available for the title.
3) X Simultaneous Users: this title can be used by up to X number of users at a time. It can be downloaded for 2 days at a time if this is available for the title.
NOTE: check the Access Options" in the "Find E-books" tab for more information.
If you are experiencing trouble linking to an e-book through the Catalog, try going to the Platform Database that the e-book is in(normally given in the Catalog record in the Notes section)
If you are experiencing problems accessing an e-book, submit an issue via the E-Issues Reporting Form.
Please provide details such as title, platform, ISBN, the browser you are using, and any error message received.
E-books are digital editions of print titles. You can download e-books and read them immediately, no matter where you are!
E-books also offer the convenience of size and portability. You can store your own personal library of e-books on your PC, Laptop or hand held device.
Because some e-books are shared with other CUNY libraries they can be tricky to navigate in the CUNY Catalog or OneSearch.
We know that this can be a frustrating experience! The good news is that there are two simple ways to ensure you can recognize and access e-book content right away.
1. For Queens College users: when you see “CUNY” or “Queens” listed under holdings in the CUNY catalog it means we have access to that e-book. Your access to e-book titles depends on which campus you belong to (so if you're associated with another campus, include that to the list, too).
2. If you only want to find e-books that you can use when you search the catalog, limit your search in the CUNY Catalog to Queens (on the front page of the CUNY Catalog in the drop-down box). OneSearch defaults to search only Queens College, so that's another very easy way to ensure you have access!
If you have a research assignment & you're unsure if you can use an ebook -- talk with your professor or Ask a Librarian.
In general, e-books contain the same quality content as their print-book counterparts. If an e-book and a print book are both available, it means they contain the same content, but are being delivered in different formats.
Queens College Libraries now offer 24/7 chat reference. So feel free to inquire at anytime of the day, from anywhere!